Saturday, April 16, 2011

Voter Identification Issue

As any of you who live in the Sturbridge, Sixth Worcester area know, the recent special primary and the evil Billboard erected by EmpowerMA and ShowIDtoVote has really caused quite a stir. The Telegram and the Southbridge Town Clerk and Town Manager are all claiming voters are being intimidated by this billboard. And of course the race card has been played.
The Evil Billboard

The interesting thing is this has nothing to do with race or even Southbridge. It just so happens this is the first election to be held since November, when after that election, it was decided there should be a coordinated effort to get legislation requiring voters to show some form of identification, you know like you have to do everywhere else.

Some of you may have heard my own story about when I went to vote in November, here in beautiful Sturbridge, home of the excellent living museum, Old Sturbridge Village, and yes that was a free plug, I was crossed off as already having voted. While it was an honest mistake as they crossed off my way better half's name, what bothered me is they never asked me to prove who I was. It would have possible for anyone to have done this.I know that is when I first brought this up in front of the Tea Party folks.
Lexington and Concord: The Beginning of the War of the American Revolution
Order this from Amazon

I can only wonder what would have happened if the Democrat Alicea had won by four votes, would the judge still have ordered a new election? I'm guessing not.

That being said, this is a big issue in the state as well as the country. Why  Southbridge could be like Lexington and Concord, (those are still in Massachusetts aren't they?) and be the first shots fired in the war. We will be discussing this at our monthly meeting of the Sturbridge Tea Party this Wednesday, April 20th, at the Southbridge Savings Bank (no free plug for them unless they forgive a mortgage payment or two) on Route 20 in Sturbridge.

2 comments:

Thank you for commenting. We appreciate your input.