Monday, May 16, 2011

One Byte At A Time

Since I have become somewhat politically active, especially with the tea party movement, I have noticed one thing; there is no shortage of issues needing attention. I am constantly bombarded with e-mails from people and organizations needing help with this and that, all of which are going to ruin the country if they aren’t fixed immediately. And of course most of them can only be fixed with a donation. So how does one decide which of the “Your Immediate Attention is Required” causes get the attention?


The best thing about being broke is I have no money to spend, which means I need not worry about that aspect of it, but there are still many causes. There are not enough hours of the day to attend to each and every cause. So I have come up with a system of prioritizing which causes I support, and this system is based on my philosophy. That philosophy, as I have stated at many of the tea party meetings I have attended, is that the best use for the tea party movement is the local level. I believe this is where we can have the biggest impact in the shortest period of time.
Mad As Hell: How the Tea Party Movement Is Fundamentally Remaking Our Two-Party System
Order this book from
Amazon here
Local elections should be used as training grounds of sorts, to put our tea party principles into action. This is where we can show how fiscal responsibility and smaller government can work for the good of all. It can also prepare a budding politician to go to the next level, state government which in turn can lead to the next level. While I certainly don’t advocate not supporting national candidates right away, but at least for me, when I only have limited resources, I would rather spend them, whether time or money, where I think I can get the biggest bang for my buck.

The same goes for issues. Recently I became involved through my writing mostly with the Show ID To Vote crowd. Why? Because in my opinion I feel this is somewhere I can make a difference and it is something I believe in. The same with the “Maria Talks” website and my tax dollars supporting this, I have a better chance at making a difference with something like this than say trying to get Planned Parenthood defunded. Not that I won’t do what I can for that, but when I have limited time and resources, I will concentrate more on the local issue.

We can easily be overwhelmed with all that needs to be done, but we have to keep the end goal in sight. We must not let our opponents distract us by throwing all kinds of stuff at us, or trying to distract us with name calling and all the other BS they try. The mess in this country wasn’t created over night and it will not be fixed overnight. I am reminded of the old saying: “How do you eat an elephant? One bite at a time.” 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting. We appreciate your input.