Thursday, May 26, 2011

Finding That One Lost Sheep

There are some days when I am listening to talk radio or reading articles or other blogs, where I get pretty disheartened. We try to get out our message, but every day there is another assault of some kind on us and our tea party movement. We see examples of the progressive left screwing things up every day and it can be overwhelming.
I recently mentioned this to someone and they asked me if I feel like there is so many who don’t feel the same way as me, and if I feel like I am not making a difference, or just treading water, then why do I keep doing it? Why, they asked, would I continue to frustrate myself? Here is my answer.
Recently I have begun reading the Bible, for reasons totally unrelated to the tea party movement, well unless you count learning about history as being part of my tea party education, and I came across this verse from Luke 15:4-7
“What man of you, having a hundred sheep, if he has lost one of them, does not leave the ninety-nine in the open country, and go after the one that is lost, until he finds it? And when he has found it, he lays it on his shoulders, rejoicing. And when he comes home, he calls together his friends and his neighbors, saying to them, ‘Rejoice with me, for I have found my sheep that was lost.’ Just so, I tell you, there will be more joy in heaven over one sinner who repents than over ninety-nine righteous persons who need no repentance.”
Now I am not going “holy roller, bible thumper” on you, I am not trying to convert anyone to anything other than what they are, but this verse is a good explanation of why I write, and I guess of what I am trying to accomplish through it. The verse deals with Jesus saving one sinner, and when asked why, he uses this example of a farmer with a hundred sheep.
I look at my writing and my involvement in the tea party as something similar. I can’t donate money to every candidate or cause I believe in, all I can do is write or volunteer and try to find that one lost sheep, or more accurately, save that one sinner. While I figure most people who read what I write, already feel pretty much the way I do about political issues, it is the one who doesn’t I am trying to reach.
Again, I am not trying to convert anyone, I am just providing an example which explains my reasoning. As any of you who have actually met me, my name and “holy roller” don’t really come together all that well, but please feel free to place whatever you can afford into the collection place as it comes by.

2 comments:

  1. I know I'm young enough to be your daughter, so I feel it would be disrespectful and weird for me to say I'm "proud" of you or whatever, but I think your writing is important and good and I am very glad you're doing it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm very glad you've begun reading the Bible. May you continue to be edified. Thanks for the insightful blogs.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting. We appreciate your input.