Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Sturbridge Town Meeting Wraps Up

You know you better hold onto your wallet when you go to the Town Meeting and the first car you see has an Obama bumper sticker, a 99% sticker, a Richard Neal sticker and an Elizabeth Warren sticker.
As you can guess I attended the Sturbridge Town Meeting, Part 2, last night and again it was a marathon session. Let me share some observations although it may take more than one post.

It’s All About Control
But this time that’s a good thing. Whether it was because there were less people in attendance or because he was more prepared or some other reason, I can’t say, but the Moderator kept the meeting under control this time. He seemed much more on top of his game tonight than he was two weeks ago. This is how the meetings should run all the time. Thank-you Mr. Caplette.

Closet Tea Partiers
As anyone who reads this blog (not that the title would give it away) I am a Tea party guy. I also believe that the tea party movement can have the most effect at the local level and this will work it’s way up. Controlling spending starts at your Town or City Hall. Last night I was struck with this observation. The majority of people out there have a total misconception as to what the tea party is all about. They have fallen victim to the negative propaganda fed to them by the mainstream media. Listening to the various discussions last night on most of the spending issues, there are more tea party folks out there than they care to admit.

Several people, who I have talked to in the past and have told me they want nothing to do with the tea party movement were advocating for two of our main principles: fiscal responsibility and smaller government. I found this extremely interesting and also told me the tea party is alive and well but somehow needs to get the message out that it isn’t what people think it is.

Fair Weather Tea Partiers
But then there are the tea partiers in hiding. The lack of confirmed tea party member sightings is very concerning to me. We all talk about making a difference, we all talk about how we have to change the tax and spend culture, we all b**** about our high taxes, yet where were we? Where were the tea partiers? In some of my pasts posts I received comments about changing the meeting from Monday night to Saturday, that question was on the ballot, where were you? I saw one person I could identify as a Tea Party member. One. (I apologize if their were more but the view is somewhat limited from the nose-bleed seats)
While I am still a believer and  that won’t change, I certainly question the commitment of others in our group. While it is nice to want to make big changes at the top, I think that deep down inside we all know that won’t make a bit of difference if WE DON’T CHANGE THE CULTURE! Changing presidents, while needed won’t make all that much difference. The next will be pretty much the same as the last. We need to develop a farm team, and it is at the local level we can do this. Sorry if this sounds like sour grapes because some of the votes didn’t got the way I would have liked, but it really isn’t The voters voted, to quote a smarter one than me “Thy will be done.”

Absolute Power

I’ll write some more posts on the meeting, but right now let me leave you with this. People should be very, very afraid when the chairman of the Conservation Commission uses the term “Absolute Power”. This term was used last night when he was arguing why the town should not accept a private road as a town road. Do we really want to grant anyone “Absolute power?” Is this really a road you want to go down?
Briefly the discussion was on accepting a road in a new development where the developer has not addressed some drainage issues. The Chairman wanted the voters to use the acceptance, or non-acceptance, of this road as a bargaining tool, forcing him to fix the problems. I am not a real estate lawyer but somehow this seems like it would be illegal. But not even that, the conservation committee or anyone else should not have this kind of power. From the discussion on the article, this drainage problem has nothing to do with the road which meets all the town standards. I also don’t know exactly what the advantage is of having the road accepted other than it will now be plowed, but is it fair to hold the tax payers on this road hostage as well? True there are only six houses on this particular road, but they purchased these homes expecting to have a town road. They pay the same taxes as everyone else, it is not their fault the developer is a, well, let’s say uncooperative.
Again, the bigger issue is the use of the term “Absolute Power”. “Absolute Power corrupts absolutely.”

Conclusion

I will write some more on the town meeting tomorrow. Again, let me say this meeting went much smoother than the last, and welcome to all the new tea party members even though they will refuse to admit it.

5 comments:

  1. I also found the comments by the Con Com very disturbing. They have a lot of power. Some of what they do is very well intentioned, some of the things they require of land owners seem to be a bit excessive. I feel that they take joy in making the life of homeowners miserable.

    When it comes to identifying with the tea party movement... I guess i am sort of a tea party guy with my feelings towards lower taxes and small government. I don't even know what other ideals the tea party supports. I think that if someone would identify themselves as a tea partier at the ATM they would not be taken seriously. In such a liberal state the Tea Party has a bad connotation attached to it. I dont need to attach a label to myself as a resident or speaker at the ATM.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Somewhere in my writings, either on this blog or another venue, I wrote about how local officials have more direct control over you than the US Congress and President. You have to deal with them on a daily basis and they hit your wallet harder and closer to home. Which is why I push the "It all starts at the local level" theme.

      I agree with you about saying you are with the tea party at the local meeting. I was going to speak on Monday night, although I didn't have to as someone asked the same question, and I debated whether or not I should identify myself as such.

      Unfortunately, the tea party has received a very undeserved and untrue characterization through the liberal media, hence the bad connotation.

      Delete
  2. Just read Tom Creamer's blog regarding the second installment of the ATM. I attended both meetings until the break because of my work schedule (but watched the remainder on cable access a day later-don't know why the last vote was not televised from Monday night?).

    I agree with TC that the "excuses" for not having Saturday meetings were not as compelling as citizens not being able to attend (or stay until midnight) on a Monday night because of their job or having compassion for the seniors that do not want to drive late at night.

    I don't consider Saturday "family" day-every day is "family" day. One guy spoke about not wanting to be inside in a meeting on a Saturday because of the warm, sunny weather--in May it could still be mighty cold out there in this neck of the woods. Really?

    One woman asked that we at least try it--but no. I think the group of voters who are so against it are afraid that IF more voters were allowed to participate in the process, some of this outrageous spending would be stopped (or never happened in the first place).

    I also agree with TC on the other issue regarding approving the public road. It's not fair to those homeowners--people need to start putting themselves in other people's shoes and think about these things.

    Very disappointed with the voters of Sturbridge--AGAIN!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I sent an email to Tom thanking him for sticking up for those who couldn't be there. I know I have a problem being out so late as I am up at 4 AM.

      There is something to your assumption that those who don't want the meetings held on Saturdays becasue they don't want people to come. However i was surprised when the Town Moderator said studies show there isn't any difference in attendance between the two. But it would be a different dynamic.

      The Regep Lane thing is wrong on so many levels. The six families that live there bought those lots in good faith. They should not be held hostage by the Conservation Commission.

      Delete
  3. Jacob Ryan (Son of the owner of the vehicle)May 20, 2013 at 8:38 AM

    I am glad to see my parents car on this site being vilified, it means that we must be doing something right. Last year when you took this picture, there were only two voters going to the annual town meeting. This year there will be three of us wallet grabbing liberals. MWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting. We appreciate your input.