Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Remember the Bricks?


As the annual town meeting approaches here in bucolic Sturbridge, let's take a look at yet another questionable expenditure that some feel is necessary. 
First, let me take us back to another time but the same place and remind everyone of my pet peeve here in Sturbridge, those damn brick sidewalks. I wrote about these way back in October of 2010, I didn't like them then and I don't like them now. $189,000 we paid for these bricks and what exactly have these bricks done for our tourist trade? Anyone?
That's what I thought. Well now we are looking for $120,000 to develop something called "The Commercial Tourist District Plan", Article 13. There is also another $25,000 coming from the Betterment Committee. And back there in Article 11 is $35,000 for something called the "Commercial District Tourist Dist. Revitalization Plan" which one might assume is the same thing. 
So what exactly do we need to spend $155,000 on? To bring tourists into town? I thought all these hiking, biking and canoe trails we have been spending money on were going to do that? And what about all those quaint little tourist traps, I mean shops which we can't seem to support becasue of all kinds of restriction? Weren't they supposed to bring in tourists? With the bricks?
I've got a better idea. Instead of spending this money for a plan, why don't we save it and instead why don't we allow businesses that will actually bring tourists into town open up. Maybe something like a nice "Adventure Golf" place like in Auburn. Wait, didn't they want to do that before... okay never mind the miniature golf thing. how about a nice outdoor concert venue, sort of like Tanglewood where we could get some classical music in town. Oh wait, seems to me someone wanted to do that awhile back as well. Nix the music. Bowling alley? Nope, can't do that. Place to go dancing? Nope don't want that. Okay, let's use the money to lay some more bricks then, that will do wonders. 
Vote No on Article 13.

4 comments:

  1. OK, Musing. It's too late for me to try to read this. Am I missing something????????

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In a nutshell, they are asking for $155,000 to spend foolishly.

      Delete
  2. let's get it rightMay 31, 2012 at 10:27 PM

    musing...fact check on the bricks...final coast was $135.000 & paid for by the state...if you had read the news reports you'd have known that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 4 grand here, 4 grand there, I know, chump change.

      I'll ask this question: Where does the money the state "gives" us come from?

      Answer: The same place all the money comes from, you and me.

      Delete

Thank you for commenting. We appreciate your input.