Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Doing It Right The First Time

The last post I wrote talked about the latest election related issue in Southbridge, that of the wrong information being printed on the absentee ballots. A local Southbridge blogger posted an update on the situation.
In this post we learn how much it will cost Southbridge to reprint the ballots: $1,543. I admit I don't keep up with things in Southbridge as much as maybe I should, perhaps when the Tea Party lets me draw a salary I can do that, but I would think that the town could put this money to better use. Heck, they could send it to me and then I could keep better track of things in Southbridge. 

This brings to mind an old saying, "We never have time to do something right the first time, but we always have time to do it over." I am not picking on the Town Clerk or Southbridge, because I would be willing to bet this happens everywhere, but you have to wonder how much money is wasted because someone didn't take the time to check something over. A thousand here, a thousand there, pretty soon you might even get to real money. 

In these days of tight budgets with threatened lay offs, all town departments, whether in Southbridge, Sturbridge or Podunk, need to make sure they do things right the first time. We can't afford "Do-overs". 

2 comments:

  1. I think she should have her pay deducted and be held accountable for her mistake. It's not enough to be sorry when jobs are being cut and financial errors like this happen.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well. You know, Paul. There's No Better Time to Make Southbridge Home.

    And unfortunately, as soon as the Tea Party starts paying you a salary you're no longer a grassroots political activist. (I'm looking at you, Christen V.!)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting. We appreciate your input.