Tuesday, December 11, 2012

Remember The Good Old Days

Here's a question: Do you believe the America of today is the same America you grew up in? How about the one your parents and grand parents grew up in? Think about it.

The answer probably depends on your point of view. If you look only look at the material things, you would say "yes". After all your parents and grandparents, even folks my age, didn't have computers, iPhone's , cable television, the internet. But if you look deeper, you might change your mind.

Got Legos?
There certainly has been some serious moral decay in this country, no, I am not going to get all religious on you, that's for another blog, and there is a definite "What's in if for me?" attitude in this country. And then there are those who feel like everything should be given to them, mostly after it has been taken from someone else.

Those of us of the Conservative mindset look at this and shake our heads, wondering what we can do about it. Unfortunately the problem is so big, individually we can't get our hands around it, and even if we could, would it make much difference?  After all it is a cultural problem more than anything else. Yet, we still try and we don't give up.

Many people out there who still really do want to make a difference, wonder what they can do, how they can make lasting change. Especially when you get to be my age, you begin to wonder how you'll be remembered. If you are like me you'll question whether you really have accomplished anything. Yes, I know I have accomplished at least two very important things, probably the most important of all and that has been to raise two (mostly) good kids, but I still wonder if there is more I can do. I wonder if there is anything else I can do to make a difference.

During the past few years I have realized a few things, and have seen some possible ways to make a difference. One is through my various writing projects. Words can be powerful things. They can shape people's opinions, they can call people to action, they can be used for good or for evil. I still think back to when I first learned about the Tea Party and went to my first meeting. I wrote a letter to the News which generated a lot of support for the local group, where I became known as "The guy who wrote the letter." Made me feel pretty good.

Another is to become involved in projects, projects which you feel you can make a difference. For those of us who end to get involved in political projects this can sometimes feel like a very uphill battle, but anything you feel is important enough is worth it in the end. One such project for me is the Mandate Amendment to the Constitution. While some may think this is something which is trying to get rid of Obamacare, it is so much more than that.

Let;s go back to the beginning of this post. When I was growing up, back in the good old days , my parents weren't forced to purchase anything because the government decided they needed to. If they couldn't afford healthcare or just didn't want it, that was their choice and they took the responsibility for it. If they wanted to smoke cigarettes and get lung cancer, that was their responsibility. It wasn't for the government to decide what they could or could not do. (And the argument that the rest of us would have to pay for their bad decisions just doesn't fly, it is only now that we do)

There were no bailouts if a company was failing, the free market took care of things. not the government, other than maybe the railroad bailout, and we see how that is working out. They never forced a company to make certain products which consumers don't want, like the Chevy Volt. It has always been wrong to do this, and against the United States Constitution. Yes, I know, the Supreme Court has said it is constitutional because it is a tax, and Congress has the power to tax, And that is the problem.

Everything will now become a tax. Whatever any politician or a special interest group wants, they will push it onto us as a tax. Don't want to buy a Volt? No problem, there is now a "carbon producing alternative on-use tax" every American now has to pay. And on and on and on.

Maybe I can't change this, maybe I can't get the mandate amendment passed, but I would rather die knowing I tried than seeing my grandchildren burdened with oppressive taxes and living in a not so free world knowing I didn't try.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting. We appreciate your input.