Saturday, December 31, 2011

Is Maginn the right choice

I am posting this letter written by Kevin Macomber about the new republican party chairman in Massachusetts, Robert Maginn. It seems he donated to Deval Patrick's campaign and has donated to the likes of Chuck Schumer.
Now, for the record, when I write posts in this blog, they are nor necessarily the opinions of the Sturbridge Tea Party or the Tea Party movement, but are my own. What bothers me about this whole thing is this quote from the article in the Globe:
“As a CEO and philanthropist and major fund-raiser for the GOP, there are times, very rare, when I may be invited and feel compelled to go and support one of my friends who’s doing a fundraiser for Democrats,’’ he said.
Order a Kindle Fire
here
Does this mean he can be bought?


Here is Kevin's letter:

As we embark on this year, we have much work at hand to restore sanity and stability to our State and Country. And as you are all too aware, the Massachusetts GOP, with the exception of Scott Brown and some State Representatives, has been less than successful at thwarting an entrenched an often corrupt Democrat Party.

This week, though I actually knew for many days, it was broadly divulged in the media that Mr. Maginn, the new Chair for the GOP, had given money to both Gov. Deval and Sen. Chuck Schumer of NY. When I heard this I was shocked, disappointed and then quite angry. And while he has certainly done many positive things for the GOP community, it is my feeling this was a significant lapse of judgment. One that simply cannot be simply excused away with the justifications provided.

As many of you are aware, I joined the military at the very young age of 17. From the time of my entry, leadership, which I didn’t fully understand in a military context, was seeded. I was taught to understand, respect and follow it. And it is this concept that leads our military people into harm’s without question. In hindsight, I am not only humbled by it, but I continue to adhere to it. I understand that those around you judge you by your collective decisions, particularly when those decisions are principled in nature.

In a conversation with my eldest son about ROTC, he asked “dad, how did you do it” with regards to my service in Beirut. I then explained to him how ‘it’ was not about myself, but about the man on your left and right and those that reported to you. It is about respect, integrity and trust and that they know you will do the right thing for them. You lead by example and you do not waiver. It was this conversation that brought clarity to the Maginn issue. The trust and respect has been broken. And without doubt, I presume a number who had voted for him probably would not have done so if the vote were today. I also can’t see how any of us here would condone another member giving money to Patrick and Schumer. It is inconceivable.

And hence we have this challenging year ahead of us. And for us to be successful and make an incremental change, I believe that it is in the best interest of the Conservatives and Independents that we be absolutely united. But the fact is we cannot with this distraction at hand, and it will not go away. Winston Churchill said ““Never give in, never give in, never; never; never; never - in nothing, great or small, large or petty - never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense.” He was right.

As the Editor of The Hubbardston Independent, I have watched this incredible group of people, united in principles and values, grow into a group of nearly 250 during the past two years. What Mr. Maginn did opposes every fiber of our collective Conservative beliefs and is inexcusable. And it is for this reason I believe, that he should resign so another person will not be a distraction to our broader, forthcoming efforts. And in these matters it is about the greater whole than the individual. If not, we will see a fractioned group throughout 2012 and achieve fewer results. A leader inherently knows such.

I look forward to our journey this year and wish you and yours a Happy New Years.

Kevin Macomber, Editor
The Hubbardston Independent

4 comments:

  1. My goodness! Ronald Regan was once a Democrat, but I bet you voted for him!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just love how your site has been on life support, and then, voila! A Democrat in Southbridge links to your site, and it's back to life. Funny how the Democrats are always showing the Republican's/Tea's how to make something work.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A democrat linked to my site? how cool is that. I'll have to return the favor if I can find out who it is.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Here's the site:
    http://ozonesouthbridge.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting. We appreciate your input.